More on seed germination

From: Loyd Wix (Loyd.Wix@unilever.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 04:49:26 PDT

Date: 05 Aug 1997 12:49:26 +0100
From: Loyd Wix <Loyd.Wix@unilever.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More on seed germination

          Dear Adrian,

          Thank you for your response,

>This year I have been germinating a variety of droseras
>using the overhead spraying method

          Which species? Whilst some Drosera germinate very easily
          (e.g. D.capensis) others such as the Australian tuberous
          sundews are very stubborn.

> and have two Utrics, one of which is U. alpina. All the
>droseras have now germinated (not in huge numbers but
>useful quantities). Unfortunately, neither of the Utrics
>are showing any activity. I am persevering and will keep
>you posted, off list.

          The seed of the large S.American Utrics is very short lived
          (including U.alpina and U.reniformis), if the seed is not
          fresh then I doubt it matters what you do with it.

          Dear Fernando,

>It was with great interest that I read your mail on Ping
>seed germination. Congratulations!!

          Thank you.

>You've apparently made a big breakthrough which may
>possibly apply not only to Pings, but also Utrics,
>Genlisea, and maybe other CPs.

          I aim to try this method on some of the N.Australian Utrics
          that I have not been able to germinate particularly
          U.leptoplectra and U.chrysantha.

>Maybe this will finally solve the problem of germinating
>seeds of the yellow-flowered Brazilian Genlisea (G.aurea,
>G.repens, G.filiformis, and G.pygmaea), which I and others
>have found impossible to this date. Once again
>CONGRATULATIONS or OMEDETOO (as they say around here)!!!

          This too would be worth trying. I have in the past got one
          or two of the species you mention above to germinate. I do
          not have long term success with any Genlisea so keeping them
          alive is my biggest problem.

          Kindest regards

          Loyd