temp Ping identification

From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 00:36:24 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:36:24 +0200
From: Chris.Breckpot@olvz-aalst.be
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: temp Ping identification

Hi Gilles,

Thanks for your nice pictures. They made me change my mind ! Now I think
the depicted specimens are more something like P. vulgaris. Grab your guns
Ping fanatics ?
In Switzerland, which is close to your site, this species is reported to
grow up to 2300m. You saw yours at 1700m, right ? Although the calyx
characteristics are difficult to judge from your pictures, there are enough
elements to give the idea of P. vulgaris at least a chance :
1. corolla tube is flattened
2. no distinct angle between corolla lobes and tube
3. lower corolla lobes barely overlap
4. margins of the lower corolla lobes are more or less parallel
5. upper corolla lobes are distinct shorter than the lower ones
6. lower corolla lobes are more or less equal in size

Maybe I am mislead by your seed capsule drawing, but it makes me wonder, in
case of P. vulgaris it should be pear shaped.
Apart from this, I am not sure this is a pure form, some introgression of
P. leptoceras might be possible, you should ask Juerg (Hi !) who is
familiar with P. leptoceras x vulgaris from Switzerland

Hopes this helps a bit.

Christian Breckpot