Alien Sarras etc

From: Bruce R Salmon (brucesal@voyager.co.nz)
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 00:47:14 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 19:47:14 +1200 (NZST)
From: Bruce R Salmon <brucesal@voyager.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Alien Sarras etc

The "escaped" Sarra mentioned is a S. flava hybrid - possibly with S. alata.
I have known of it's existance for about 2 years. I'm glad to hear it's
growing well. I doubt it will cause a problem due to lack of suitable
habitats. Meaning that the sedges it is growing among will eventually choke
it out of existance.
As for U. gibba - this plant is sterile and is only transported by waterfowl
and water flow - thus you can see acres of it in the Whatipu wetlands on
Aucklands west coast. They sure are impressive when in full flower. I don't
see this plant causing much harm either simply because it only lives in
shallow water near the edges of lakes and would be washed away further out
in slow streams. It does not compete with any other native CPs - our only
other native aquatic utric is U. australis which generally lives in deeper
water. Where they meet they seem to live together happily.

Bruce

Bruce Salmon
13 Rothery Road
Manurewa