Hardy CP's

From: Wim Leys (wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Wed Aug 06 1997 - 14:46:08 PDT

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 14:46:08 -0700
From: Wim Leys <wim.leys@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hardy CP's

Hi,

I received a question from a local Botanical garden who whish to expand
the number of CP's in their outdoor artificial bog. They are looking for
hardy CP's and asked suggestions conserning the construction of
artificial bogs (for the bogs, I'll use my own experiences, together
with what I've learned from this list. Many thanks to all the
contributors !).

Regarding the hardy CP's, I was thinking of suggesting them these
plants.

* S. flava They report that S. flava has not flowered this year,
probably due to the severe winter we had. This astonished me, as I
consider S. flava to be very easy and hardy. Some have germinated in my
bog and those seedlings have survived last winter.
* S. purpurea purpurea
* S. purpurea venosa
* S. leucophylla cold greenhouse during winter
* S. oreophylla cold greenhouse during winter
* S. alata cold greenhouse during winter
* S. minor cold greenhouse during winter
* S. rubra cold greenhouse during winter
* S. psittacina cold greenhouse during winter
* D. intermedia
* D. rotundifolia
* D. filiformis filiformis ? cold greenhouse during winter ?
* U. vulgaris
* U. minor
* P. vulgaris
* P. grandiflora

Any other suggestions ?

In the botanical garden of Louvain they have sheltered their bog with
bubble plastic during winter. It was wrapped around a frame to prevent
it from touching the plants. A controlled amount of air could circulate
under the plastic to prevent fungus attack. The plants came out very
healthy this spring. Their biggest problem are the blackbirds who are
constantly picking out the Sphangnum.

BTW. The Belgian climate is comparable with that of the UK. The location
of the Botanical garden, is further away from the coast, so the
temperatures during the summer are higher (20 - 30 C; 68 - 86 F) and
lower during the winter (-5 - -10 C; 23 - 14 F (with peaks up to -15 -
-20 C; -20 - -4 F)). As it is located in a very wet area, humidity will
allways be high.

Kind regards
Wim