Great white north

From: Tim Malcolm (uj165@freenet.victoria.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 09 1997 - 11:19:50 PDT

Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 11:19:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tim Malcolm <uj165@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Great white north

> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:46:51 -0400
> From: "Carl Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
> To: "CP Listserv" <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Sarrs in the North.

> in Canada, I guess I fit the bill. Before we start thinking ice fishing
> and igloos, let me preface by saying, I'm in one of the most mild parts of
> Canada (about 40 minutes west of Niagara falls, on Lake Ontario). I live
> in USDA Zone 6. Thats winter minimums that don't get much colder than
> -23C, thats is usually during the coldest of cold spells. On average,
> January low temps are between -5C and -10C. We get thaws in all the winter
> months, some days getting as warm as 15C in January, however, thats very
> rare. Our growing season is 185 days, with first frosts about mid to late
> October and last frost about early to mid April. By the book, the earliest
> frost can come as early as September 25, and as late as May 22 or so.
> However, I don't every remember frost that late or early.

Just in case anyone thinks that all a canadian has to look forward to is
a thaw for every winter month, here in victoria we're zone 8 and rarely
get much snow. Except for a freak occurence this last winter.

Anyway my real question concerns wintering of CPs, especially my VFT.
What do I do, and when? I've heard or read everything from "you don't
need to do anything" to "keep it in the fridge". It's been growing
indoors quite happily for a few months now and has been correctly potted
and placed. If this had already been adressed at great length please
just point me toward the archives.

(I guess I've never introduced myself, but it shouldn't take long. I own
one (1) CP, and hopefully a couple more if the UPS stike ever clears up.
I live in the (not "one of the") mildest climate in canada. I'm
interested in plants in general and CPs, Cycads, and those native to the
Pacific Northwest (Southwestern BC) in particular. I tend to worry a lot
about my plants.)

Tim Malcolm
uj165@freenet.victoria.bc.ca