Bog Trip

From: Carl Mazur (ccp@vaxxine.com)
Date: Sun Aug 10 1997 - 19:02:21 PDT

Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:02:21 -0400
From: "Carl Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bog Trip

Hello all,

Just a quick note to make mention of a bogs I visited recently. The first
bog is on the margin of a lake in Huron County Ontario. CP were incredible
prolific. U. geminiscapa, U. cornuta were everywhere, as were D.
rotundifolia and intermedia. Infact there was nowhere you could step
without trouncing on sundews or untrics. Hybrids of rotundifolia and
intermedia were also quite abundant. S. purpurea were everywhere, with
about 5 heterophylla plants that I managed to find in one area. Hybrids of
the heterophylla and typical form were also quite evident.

There were also a number of species of wild orchids there. I'm not up on
my latin for these so excuse the common names. Grass pink, Rose Pogonia,
White Fringed and Bog Candles. I could look them up if to get the genus
species if for whatever reason anyone in CP Land cares ;-)

The best part is that the bog is owned by the Ontario Field Naturalists and
Nature Conservancy. Its quite a beautiful bog.

I also visited the site in Grey County where Jay Lechtman and Myself found
the green veinless purpurea form. The head of the science department where
I teach and I did some plant counts to get a rough idea of the numbers of
the variant forms. The veinless plants were the most common by far.
Hopefully in the spring of next year, I'll be able to go and do some
research on flower variation, and see what correlation there is, if any,
with the veinless plants.

Best Regards,

Carl J.Mazur
Cherryhill Carnivorous Plants