Another Royal Red Question

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 11 1997 - 04:02:32 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:02:32 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Another Royal Red Question

If you self-fertilise a Sarracenia hybrid, I understand that the offspring are not
more of the same, ie the only way to propagate hybrids is vegetatively or by
re-crossing the parents. Is the same true of Dionaea muscipula 'Royal Red'?
My plant is about to flower and I am hoping to self-fertilise it. The flowers
look as though they are going to be white - I thought all-red clones normally
had orange flowers.

The vagaries of the British weather have certainly fooled my U australis - they
formed winter resting buds in one of the wettest and dullest Junes on record.
They have just started sprouting again - the traps are so small they look more
like U gibba.

Regards, NigelH