RE: D.capilaris ID?

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 05:26:00 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:26:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: D.capilaris ID?

> Finally, I was present when a plant whose ID is uncertain flowered.
>the scape is acsending and the style looks rather the same with regard
>to it width, though where the stimga is, it is a little thicker. Is
this
>what the style of D.capilaris looks like? The scape has very sparse
>hairs about half up the stem, but the stem seems rough even where there
>are no hairs...

Actually, the above post could be from any number of YOU so I'm not
picking on Dave Evans. I actually (again) have a few Germans in mind
(grin), but I may be getting them confused with the orchid list digest
(OLD). Actually (again), this is a plea for help. I have ignored my
ignorance on plant terminology, hoping that it would go away or that I
would not need it or that at least it would stop bothering me when I
read such posts.

I failed. Since I don't have a reference library with real botany
books, could someone recommend, give, or quote books that can be used to
learn this damnable stuff. I'm tired of reading Greek and realize that
I only have myself to kick.

And while I'm getting things off my chest, I don't believe this stuff
about sodium bicarbonate (I'd better grin again.)

David