Re: Nepenthes

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 12:43:30 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:43:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes

Laurent wrote:

> On many pictures, I see how the Neps grow around the trees...
>
> Which process does allow this behaviour ? How does the plant detect the
> configuration of the host plant ?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "process" that "allows this
behavior".

The tendrils of many Nepenthes species naturally want to coil
around nearby objects. I liken it to the tendrils of other
climbing vine-like plants, such as grapes, cucumbers, etc.
But the tendrils of grapes and cucumber plants don't form
pitchers at the end.

It makes sense for Nepenthes to do this, especially in the
upper growth. Pitchers filled with liquid can get heavy. By
having its tendrils coil around nearby objects, the plant
obtains mechanical support for the heavy upper pitchers.

Same principle works for grape and cucumber plants, which
also develop heavy loads during fruiting.

Regards,

Perry Malouf