NJ Bogs, Part IV

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 15:14:24 PDT

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 18:14:24 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: NJ Bogs, Part IV

> dave evans, Thank you for your E-Mail of 8/11/97 12:21 PST! Your question
> was:
>
> >> Sadly, I must report that there was obvious abuse to many of the CP
> >> in the area- Pitchers ripped open, pitchers torn away then discarded,
> >> sundews crushed by human feet, and almost every pitcher plant flower
> >> stalk was cut neatly with a knife. Obviously, someone is collecting s.
> >> purpurea seed.
> >
> Hmmm ... does that "infamous" CP nursery on the East coast sell such
> seed?? Just thinking out loud ... :-(
>
> KenC

Hi Ken,
    Actually, the text above was from me. As for the guilty party
involved in the sar. purpurea flower/seed hiest, it's been suggested
that deer are eating them. When looking at the photos from the bog, I
noticed that some of the stems are clean cut, while others are ripped.
Me personally, I think it's the Jersey Devil. (or could it be...
O.J.???)
    As to the infamous CP nursery, are they still in business? It seems
hard to believe they could be after being so exposed (as they evidently
were...).

Cheers,
Paul

PS- arrest the deer!!!