Re: Surprise d. intermedia

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 15 1997 - 15:39:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 15 Aug 97 18:39 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Surprise d. intermedia

> > > No, it's mostly from Ocean County, NJ; but I have collected from all
> > > over the east coast. I can't see any reason for labelling the location
> > > data, as all the plants look the same. For this species, I feel data
> > > location data worth keeping would be if the plants were from another
> >
> > I feel I've got to say something about this. I believe we should be
> > keeping locating names mainly for one reason. That being the
> > reintroduction of the species if the present plants are destroyed etc.
> >
> Oh no! You used the much hated, much maligned "R" word... duck,
> Davin! :)
> Actually, I agree with you 100%.
> Cheers,
> Paul V. McCullough

Hi Guys,

   Sorry to rain on your parade here, or seeming to try to. Your
intentions are noble and commendible (sp?). However, how would all
the plants at a site be destroyed? If the level of destruction were
so great that no plants or seeds where left, please explain where
you'd replant. Forest fires don't do this. Even collecting plants
can't do this grave harm for the type of plants we're talking about.
The only way to completely wipe out a Drosera site would be to end
it's existince as a viable place for them to grow. Like draining
away the water and building a shopping center. You could replant and
replant, but I have never seen Drosera on land that won't support them.

Dave Evans

P.S. you can collect any plant that is not locally or Federally
Endangered from private land by *FIRST* asking for and getting written
permission from the owner. For example, you can *not* get this
kind of permission for taking VFT from private land, however all
the Drosera, Pinguicula and Sarracenia in VFT's range are game.
Do not abuse this knowledge, unless you want to see more damage done.
Species may have been added to this list as my data is somewhat dated,
so find out what is legal before hand.