Re: Plant locations and surprise D. intermedia

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 16 1997 - 09:27:11 PDT

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:27:11 -0500 (CDT)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Plant locations and surprise D. intermedia

>From Paul McCullough,

> I don't understand... how do you tell where your plants come from? Mine
> are all from Home Depots and a plant stand in NC, USA.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Some people keep records of plants they have collected, or received from
others who have kept records of plants they have collected, etc, etc.

>From Dave Evans

> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry to rain on your parade here, or seeming to try to. Your
> intentions are noble and commendible (sp?). However, how would all
> the plants at a site be destroyed? If the level of destruction were
> so great that no plants or seeds where left, please explain where
> you'd replant. Forest fires don't do this. Even collecting plants
> can't do this grave harm for the type of plants we're talking about.
> The only way to completely wipe out a Drosera site would be to end
> it's existince as a viable place for them to grow. Like draining
> away the water and building a shopping center. You could replant and
> replant, but I have never seen Drosera on land that won't support them.

Hi Dave,

I can give you an example. Take a person who has acquired some land, and
this person sees his field full of tall pitchers, but mistakes them for
weeds. He goes through with a weed wacker, roto-tiller, or some other
means to eradicate these 'weeds'. Later, he is informed that he just wiped
out a population of S. oreophila and is quite ashamed and wishes to
reverse the damage. Replanting would then be a successful operation, and
better yet if some of the original plants were in someone's collection.

I'll give you another example. There is a small population of Pinguicula
that exists near a secluded stream. After some time, the stream becomes
famous for its brook trout, and a trail is formed right through the middle
of the little butterworts. From repreated stamping and tromping, the
population dwindles to such a state, that the habitat stress is too
overwhelming and there isn't enough biomass left in the population to be
self-sustaining. Some concerned collectors realize this and take the
appropriate measures to divert the fishing trail and reintroduce original
members.

One last example. In Nevada County, California, there is a stand of
Darlingtonia Californica. This particular stand is being threatened by
logging. Efforts are made to protect the stand, but to no avail. Logging
commences and the nightmare becomes reality. Tall trees crash down on top
of this population, destroying huge numbers. Eventually, heavy rains come,
eroding the surrounding soil and heavy siltation results, furthering the
demise. Eventually, only a few individuals exists but there aren't enough
mature adults that can flower and produce seed to ensure the continuing
survival of the population. Thankfully, enough concerned citizens speak
up, and are allowed to make the necessary rescue efforts. Fortunately,
some wise conservationalists had removed a good number of flowering adults
before the logging. These are introduced, along with a plan for habitat
restoration, and the population regains its foothold. The unique genetic
diversity of this population is saved.

These are just a few fictional examples, however, they are within the
realm of possibility. Not all carnivorous plants are wiped out because of
a parking lot.

Paul Burkhardt