sterilizationtechniques

From: Guy Van Der Kinderen (Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be)
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 22:53:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 07:53:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Guy Van Der Kinderen <Guy.VanDerKinderen@rug.ac.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: sterilizationtechniques

To Kent and others,

        No Kent, it was no mud anymore. Thanks for clearing up this
hormone/autoclave item. I think we were approaching the problem in a
different way. In my experiments with pure hormones, real dose/response
data were collected, and hence I needed to know the exact starting
concentration in the medium. But this is probably not the approach of
hobbyists or commercial growers. Nevertheless, I think the discussion
started from an experimental point of view, people trying things out, not
dealing with huge quantities of growing medium. They work in home labs,
not in factories where every dime counts. In the meanwhile, we offered
them several methods and alternatives. For those who might still be
interested in filtersterilization, there's a more cheap and not very
demanding way (at least in Belgium) to do so, just let me know.

        Thanks also for the information on alcohol beasts. I must be very
lucky, since I'm using alcohol desinfection of equipment (without any
flames) for more than twenty years now. Never met these guys.

Kind regards,

Guy VdK