FAQ and VFTs

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@geocities.com)
Date: Thu Aug 21 1997 - 21:32:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 00:32:25 -0400
From: Derek Glidden <dglidden@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: FAQ and VFTs

Ok, I gotta put in my two cents like everyone else:

First, it's not nearly so bad as to start picking on Barry personally.
If the rest of the FAQ were as discouraging, maybe then, and only maybe
then, would it be worthwhile to think maybe Barry "has it in" for novice
CP'ers. And picking on someone in a public forum is just tacky.

As for the VFT section of the FAQ, I believe that it *is* discouraging.
IMHO, the FAQ is supposed to have information to *encourage* people in
picking up CP as a hobby. The "doomed" stuff should be left out. Yet
it should still make the point that CPs are *not easy to grow* like a
Pothos or a Spider Plant, but can be kept alive with some effort.

--
Derek Glidden                       http://www.illusionary.com