D. intermedia 'Tropical' vs. D. roraimae

From: Mike Vogl (mvogl@webaccess.net)
Date: Fri Aug 22 1997 - 16:52:30 PDT

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:52:30 -0700
From: Mike Vogl <mvogl@webaccess.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. intermedia 'Tropical' vs. D. roraimae

Hello all; this is my first crack at a discussion topic, so here goes!

A few months ago I recieved a tiny plant of D. intermedia 'Tropical'. I
had heard it was a resident of the Tepuis, so I potted it in sand and
put it under the very bright lights with my Helis.
Well, it is a gorgeous plant and has done very well for me. But, the
more it has grown, the more I have questioned its identity. Basically,
it looks like a textbook case of D. roraimae! It is bright red, forms a
trunk of dead leaves, etc... it even tried to flower( which might have
answered my question definitively) but I cut the scape off, fearing it
was too young to survive flowering.

I have seen photos of D. intermedia 'Tropical' where it did indeed look
very much like D. intermedia. However, I was struck by how pale it was.
My theory, then, is that it( like Helis) needs the strong light to best
develop its form, but in cultivation it is given only moderate light, as
most Droseras prefer. And if it never developed the characteristic D.
roraimae shape, no one would have any reason to suspect its true
identity!

Basically, then, I believe that D. intermedia 'Tropical' is really D.
roraimae.

I would greatly appreciate any input on this matter.

-Jonathan