Direct sunlight

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 25 1997 - 08:57:04 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:57:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Direct sunlight

Dear Matt,

> Then I took them from artificial light to direct sun and burned them to
> the point of near death. . .

I have found that vft's can handle direct sunlight all day, but if you
grow then under artificial light, they will need to be eased into it. Try
putting them outside in the shade, and then gradually expose them to more
and more sunlight. Eventually, you can leave them out without protection
and the plants will become nicely colored. Mine have survived over 100 F
here in Illinois. I have found that many CPs grow better outdoors than
under artificial light, even if in shade for the entire day. It's quite
difficult to compete with the amount of radiation the sun produces :)

Paul Burkhardt