Epiphytic Neps

From: Mike Vogl (mvogl@webaccess.net)
Date: Tue Aug 26 1997 - 05:54:03 PDT

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 05:54:03 -0700
From: Mike Vogl <mvogl@webaccess.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Epiphytic Neps

Has anyone else noticed that epiphytic Nepenthes seem to have larger
pitchers, both in actual dimensions and in proportion to their leaf
size, than terrestrial ones? This is especially noticeable in N.
ampullaria.

I assume that the reason for that is that they must depend on prey to
supply more of their nutritional needs, since they have no real soil to
speak of, and larger traps mean more prey. If this logic is faulty,
please correct me.

My question is, would this carry over into cultivation? Has anyone tried
to grow a Nep on bark? I don't mean the sideboard thing, where you pack
it in sphagnum, but bare root on bark?

-Jonathan