alteration of soil conditions

From: Richard Howard (Richard.Howard@virgin.net)
Date: Sat Aug 23 1997 - 21:20:59 PDT

Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 05:20:59 +0100
From: "Richard Howard" <Richard.Howard@virgin.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: alteration of soil conditions

I am new to carnivorous plants, and was wondering, if this is right, that
plants CAN benefit by the the introduction of an acidic solution introduced
into the soil. Does it have any affect of the biological makeup of the soil
(ie alter the natural bacteria) Also, which substance is regarded to be the
best for introduction into the soil, and it what quantity?

Regards,
Richard Howard

> Topic No. 3
>
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 09:17:33 -0400
> From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
> To: Multiple recipients of list <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Re[2]: Sphagum
>

> I don't consider myself an expert on growing CPs, but I have many years
of
> growing these plants. When I here things like adding oil and baking soda
to the
> soil mix, sends up a red flag for me. There may be something to using oil
and
> baking soda, but my experience with using oil is that it kills plants.
Using
> straight vinegar, out of the bottle, on weeds kills them, but a table
spoon in a
> gallon of water poured over CP soil helps to change the ph value of the
soil,
> therefore enhancing them somewhat. It's hard to say what will work and
what will
> not.
> I have to support Tom Hayes and David Evens on their thoughts. I would
be
> careful in using additives like oil and baking soda until there is more
solid
> evidence supporting this treatment. What makes this scary is that
cooking oil
> is made from a variety of different things all over the world, such as
Peanut