Re: baking soda?

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 29 1997 - 07:48:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:48:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: baking soda?

> At 10:59 AM 8/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >Wish to of been able to respond yesterday but was out of town. I would of
> >agreed with your assuption until I been expieramenting with all of my
> >canivorous plants.

> >Randy Palmer

> Anyone in the Tampa Bay Carnivorous Plant Club care to vouch for this person
> or procedure?? I still can't decide if this is a person who may have
> discovered a new and exciting treatment or if this is a person trying to get
> everyone on this list to murder their plants. I mean no offense to Randy as
> long as the motives are above board.

Well... gee,

I can tell you that Randy's motives are all above board, and he is not trying
to hoax anyone. As far as results go, Randy has had some good luck with
several plants, but I have not personally inspected any plants (that I know of)
that he has treated.

Randy can correct me if I am wrong, but as with most of the techniques people
try, I don't think he made a careful comparison of identical plants using
research and control groups. In addition, any such trial should probably
extend to two generations (successful germination of the seed produced by the
treated plants). I don't believe that this has been done either.

So, for the beginners, I would recommend using the more or less consistent
guidelines available from this list, the FAQ's or any of the good books on the
market. The more experienced growers, of course, can draw their own
conclusions.

Tom in Fl