pH

From: Ide Laurent (ide@arcadis.be)
Date: Sun Aug 31 1997 - 10:00:41 PDT

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:00:41 +0100
From: Ide Laurent <ide@arcadis.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: pH

To all

Really funny, this baking soda saga !

Derek, Randy, and all the others who think that a basic soil is better, listen
to my own experience.

First, you have to remember (but this has just been said in the previous
digest) that a lot of CPers, scientists, and all the books you can read
explain how the CP need an acidic soil ! All the growing tips you find are
'How REDUCE the pH !' with adding some acids. Could all these people be wrong
?

Now, my experience : this year (a carnage in my collection) I decided to add
some sand in my mixes. Because I didn't know what kind of sand I had to use,
I've asked the question to a friend of mine (is he still my friend after this
advice ?) who told me the sand to use was the white sand, the 'Rhein-sand'
(from the Rhein in Germany, so, a kind of river sand).

This sand is REALLY basic, and I've lost my repotted plants. First, the
droseras were destroyed (so, as they need a low pH, I will definetely use pure
peat for them). Then, the Sarrs, and later the Pings. In these poisonous 1:1
peat/sand mixes were sowed a lot of Drosera seeds. What happened ? A good
germination rate. But... After a few time, the plantlets stopped their growing
until they were repotted in peat; this morning, I've repotted six months-old
seedlings, 2 mm long with NO ROOTS ! The plantlets definetely REFUSE the basic
soil, sending a tiny root HORIZONTALLY to search another soil !

This is not a scientific clue, but...

Hope this helps everyone.

Laurent in Belgium, Web site where you know (did you see my face there ?)

PS to Paul : thank you for your good recipes, but you should stop with
crack.