Re: Closest area to see CP in native environ?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 04 1997 - 14:57:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 04 Sep 97 17:57 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Closest area to see CP in native environ?

Hello John and Welcome,

> I'm new to the CP list. I live in north Missouri.... Hannibal Mo to
> be exact.
>
> I would like to visit an area where I can see CP growing in the wild.
> I don't care what... pitcher plant, sundew, etc... just something.
>
> Can someone tell me WHERE the nearest area is to do this? Would I
> have to drive north say to north Illinois or Wis... or south down to
> Arkansas, etc?

Yes, I'm sure you can find some CP's, if you haven't already and just
didn't know it. Small yellow flower with spurs, probably Utricularia.
These are AKA "Bladderworts" and you can often find a couple species
just about anywhere there is constant fresh water. To find other CP,
like Drosera, try looking for a *BOG* or bog-like area (fen). Often
to find these plants you'll have look through grass and other weeds
so dress so as to protect yourself from ticks and watch out for snakes,
quicksand and anything else that might kill you in your area. Oh yeah,
most of these places are on private land, so you'll need to speak with
and get a written note from the owner specifically saying you can be
on their land.

Good luck,
Dave Evans