Cultivating Nep's in the UK.

From: m harrison (m.harrison@hzg.sc.philips.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 22:51:51 PDT

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 06:51:51 +0100
From: m.harrison@hzg.sc.philips.com (m harrison)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cultivating Nep's in the UK.

Andrew,
I've been growing Nep's in my greenhouse for a few years now, in with the
rest of CP's. So far they seem to be OK, as are my other CP's. I have stuck
mainly to highland varieties and they are growing and pitchering well.
Humidity is 70-95% and they get misted 6-8 times per day. The greenhouse is
unheated at night and usually unheated in the day except for the occasional
time when temps are below 16 deg. If it has been very warm, like this
summer, I leave the greenhouse door open day and night. Keep and eye on the
humidity though. Max temps are 28 deg in summer. In the winter I move the
plants to a makeshift heated terrarium or when I had fewer plants into the
bathroom. The plants get a foliar spray with quarter strength Miracid every
two weeks in the summer. They are kept on the greenhouse floor out of
direct sun light. I hope this info helps - don't give up yet. I thought the
climate in this country made it easy to keep the highland types because
they prefer cooler days and even cooler nights than the Lowland Nep's.

          Cheerio, Mark Harrison - Lancashire, UK.