Dormancy Question

From: MARK POGANY (MARKP@CRSCMS.COM)
Date: Sat Sep 06 1997 - 22:24:54 PDT

Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 01:24:54 -0400
From: MARK POGANY <MARKP@CRSCMS.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Dormancy Question

I know this question is a bit early to ask but here goes....

I have been growing S. Psittacina since early spring (this is the FIRST
time for me cultivating this particular species). I've read different
things concerning dormancy for this plant. One book says to submerge the
entire plant in soft water for the entire winter. Living where I do
(N.E. Ohio) the whole enchillada would freeze SOLID even inside an
attached garage. Since this plant grows in a sub-tropical environment
I'm sure this action would kill the entire rhizome.

Could someone that has dormancy experience with this species tell me his
or her "trick" about over-wintering this Sarr.? Any feedback would be
greatly appreciated!

Seeding Northern Canada with N. Bicalcarata,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio
markp@crscms.com