Re: Coloration / Tea / Cephalotus Leaf Cuttings

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 04:49:56 PDT

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:49:56 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Coloration / Tea / Cephalotus Leaf Cuttings

The docks seem healthy enough, which makes me think that there isn't a loss
of chlorophyll.

I have used the gardening trick of mulching the acid-lovers with used tea-bags,
which is gradually erasing the red flushes. There have been several threads over
the past year about peat tea - has anyone tried real tea on their CPs? (I know
that docks are not CPs, but apparently they are not too distantly related to
Nepenthes, and there are some interesting botanical names in common eg
Danser, Rechinger).

Take one plastic cup. Fill with washed, lime-free horticultural grit. Add rain
water until it is level with the surface. Snip 10 non-carnivorous leaves from a
Cephalotus and dibble them in. Results so far - one death, 6 no change, but 3
are doing well and chucking out little pitchers. Interesting how plants which
are so easy to kill through over-watering (and I've killed a few Cephalotus in
my time) can be rooted in water.

Good Growing, NigelH