Nepenthes x. williamsii

From: Tim Williams (Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 02:17:36 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:17:36 +0100
From: "Tim Williams" <Tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes x. williamsii

> I am trying to find a supplier of either seed or live plants of
> Nepenthes x. williamsii...

Perry Malouf wrote:

"Hi Tim. I'm curious as to why you want _seed_ of a hybrid like
this. Isn't it true that seeds produced from crossing this sort
of hybrid won't necessarily produce plants with similar appearance?

I thought that this was the reason why popular hybrid clones
are usually propagated by cuttings."

Well, Perry, my total ignorance of Nepenthes hybrids is shining clearly
through! To be quite honest, I know little about N. x williamsii other than
it's reported parentage, and although I vaguely know that some plant hybrids
are either sterile or else do not breed true (or not for long), I had no
idea that this was invariably the case with nepenthes of this kind.

So, in case there are other ignoramuses out there in CP land as well as me,
perhaps you or another knowledgeable grower could post a brief (and simple)
explanation of which (if any) Nep. hybrids CAN be propagated true via seed,
and which cannot? Or are all hybrids going to produce different offspring
(do they revert to the ancestor types?)

I would still be grateful for cuttings from anyone who has this plant in
cultivation.... it does not seem to be a commercially available plant so I
guess is not very common or popular?

Thanks for the information (and apologies to all on the list for my
ignorance!)

Cheers,

Tim Williams.