Re: Darlingtonia dormancy

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 13:11:05 PDT

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:11:05 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Darlingtonia dormancy

On 8 Sep 97 at 5:08, P Mui wrote:

> On the subject of dormancy, Is there a special way to put
> a Darl.Calf. into dormancy. I like in NYC, the winters are a
> bit harsher here.

Is there a problem if you just let your Darlingtonia do its own thing
in whatever climate you live in? It's not as if the plant really
does anything different in dormancy, except for not growing - I mean
it doesn't produce resting buds or tubers or anything. My plants
just get left in a protected position outside (probably down to
freezing or a bit below), or sometimes I place them in the greenhouse
which gets down to 45F/7C.

The one thing that annoys me with Darlingtonia is that if I keep them
outside in Summer, then they catch so many insects that by the end
of the season, I hardly have any pitchers left which aren't a brown
rotting mess. I'd almost prefer to have them in the greenhouse so
as to restrict the insect supply and keep them looking more
presentable, but the greenhouse is full already.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden