Newcomer

From: Jazmyne Hesseltine (jazmyne@cdsnet.net)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 19:58:33 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 19:58:33 -0700
From: Jazmyne Hesseltine <jazmyne@cdsnet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Newcomer

Hi all.

My name is Jazmyne and obviously I'm a newcomer to the listserv.

I've always been fascinated with the Venus Fly Trap and bought my first =
a little over a year ago. Well, I didn't take very good care of it (had =
no clue what I was doing) and slowly killed over four months by planting =
it in regular potting soil, completely dehydrating it and keeping it on =
top of my TV, which was NOT a place the sun reached often. Yes, I =
abused it and I should be shot. Forgive me.

My interest sparked recently for reasons I cannot remember and I started =
hunting for a terrarium. I could not find one within driving distance. =
(I wanted a small one that would sit comfortably on my desk at work.) =
So, I built one. It came out quite well for my first attempt and in my =
search for the housing, I found several healthy plants.

I did my homework this time. I checked out every book at the library =
(two) and have been perusing the internet for about a week now reading =
and absorbing everything I could. I was amazed to discover the fact =
that there are so many species of CPs!!!! =20

Well, I couldn't find whole Sphagnum moss, so I used the chopped kind =
mixed with Perlite for aeration. Well, Perlite FLOATS!!! (oops) And it =
takes a LONG time for the moss to absorb the water. Whew! =20

I found a few Nepenthese in Medford (I don't know what subspecies) and =
was thinking about getting one of them this weekend. I think they are =
one of the more common species since they were for sale at Fred Meyers. =
(for those of you who do not know what a Freddie's is: think of a =
combination of a WalMart, a SafeWay, and a True Value - your true =
department store.)

As for things aside from my newfound interest, I work for an =
international company doing computer and network support. I've also =
been a plant enthusiast for years and have a hard time killing anything =
green. (not that I'd try) =20

I guess I'll end this now. I look forward to reading, learning and =
exploring this new world I've discovered.

Sincerely,
Jazmyne