Cephalotus

From: Lance Jerale (ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us)
Date: Wed Sep 10 1997 - 01:10:47 PDT

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:10:47 +0000
From: Lance Jerale <ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cephalotus

> Hi all,
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to get Ceph's red to maroon as they are
> in the wild.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Danny

Hi Danny,
I had GOOD luck with my first and only Cephalotus this year. I'm growing
it in a peat mix, keeping it somewhere between moist and wet, and in full
outdoor Wisconsin sun all summer long. A low growing well-behaved moss
(NOT SPHAGNUM) has filled in under and around the Ceph, and has
provided a rather attractive green bed for the traps to nestle in. Last
winter it roomed with my orchids, under metal halide and high pressure
sodium lights in the basement. While under the lights AND in the sun, the
traps have always grown well and colored up well. I'm just an amateur,
but maybe my experience will be of some value.

For what it's worth: My small Nepenthes collection also LOVES the high
intensity lights!

Good luck with your Cephalotus,

Lance

--
Lance Jerale																 414-775-9520 voice