Re: Nepenthes Database

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 11 1997 - 20:22:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 11 Sep 97 23:22 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Database

> Or you could also send anything to any of the other people (if there are
> any) who are going to help me. I hope anyone growing nepenthes could
> pitch in and help. Making a database for over 75 different species of
> nepenthes and probably more hybrids than I can imagine would be a huge
> job for just one person, but if fifty peole are helping out we could
> have it done in no time !!!

Great idea Matt!!!

    Please note that this is already in progress, namely the CP Data
Base and web-page maintained by Rick Walker. And I think more than
fifty people are on the job, by now. Andreas Wistuba and several
other long time CPers have some real nice Web-pages dedicated to
Nepenthes. Now, I'm not too sure about it, but I think lots of the
info you want to put in the Data is already out there in various places
and in the data-base. Lots of info on dozens of species isn't yet known.
Not to mention several "species" are in dispute as to whether they are
species or hybrids, variations, subspecies, ect. BTW, most Nepenthes
can be grown in just about the same conditions, the only major
difference being the temperatures they do well in. All the older
hybrids that have been documented, are in the database. Check it out,
it's huge! Right now they/we are looking for pictures to add onto the
names on the list. It's slow going getting good pictures, you might
have a really photogenic plant, but no camera or one that can't do the
job.

Good growing,
Dave Evans