Winter

From: Matt (drake@erols.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 05:39:38 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:39:38 +0000
From: Matt <drake@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Winter

In a month or two the temperature here on the East Coast of the USA
will begin to drop, putting my Dionea and Sarracencia into dormancy.
If I am correct, Nepenthes do not go into dormancy, and I intend on
moving them inside to a terrarium of some kind. I have two
shoplights, with a total of 4 cool white flourescent tubes, 40 watts
apiece. In the past while trying to grow CP under the artificial
lighting, the plants did not do as well as when outside in the sun.
The light seems insufficient when I grow CP inside.
     I know I can increase the lumens by covering the walls and floor
of the terrarium with reflective material such as mylar or aluminum
foil (which I have used in the past), but should I buy expensive
grow-lights?
    This winter I also plan on growing quite a few seeds under the
artificial lighting, which I leave on 24 hours a day when germinating
seeds.
     Any suggestions as to what I should do to get more light?