We are lucky God doesn't charge us for sunlight....

From: Matt (drake@erols.com)
Date: Sat Sep 13 1997 - 08:01:02 PDT

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 15:01:02 +0000
From: Matt <drake@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: We are lucky God doesn't charge us for sunlight....

I want to grow my nepenthes indoors this winter. But HID and High
Pressure Sodium lamps, etc. all cost an arm and a leg. I was thinking
about maybe attaching a chain to a streetlight and to my tow hitch on
my car, then driving away and pulling down the streetlight to get a
free HID lamp, but I don't think 5 or 10 years in jail is worth it,
not the risk of hurting myself or somebody else.
     All I have is 4 40 watt cool white flourescent tubes. If I make
a terrarium with mylar on the walls, floor, and ceiling, it still
probably won't be enough light. I don't know where to get used lamps
that put out enough lumens, nor do I particularly want to spend a
fortune on electricity.
     Does anybody know a good place to get VERY good deals on indoor
lighting, and/or how I can improve the shoplights I have now to put
out enough lumens for optimum growth, and/or other lights I can use,
and/or how to intensify the light, etc. The high prices of the best
lights tick me off just about as much as when trying to force-feed a
VFT trap and having it close without getting the insect in or getting
it in and then the insect getting out leaving an empty, closed trap.
:/