Re: Seed stratification

From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 02:18:29 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 05:18:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: KILSMOOTH@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seed stratification

Hello growers!...Brian here.....This is what i've always done to stratify my
seed{be it cp or non-cp}.....First,the seed is harvested and dried in a shady
place for two days or so..Then, wrap the seed in wax papaer,being sure that
the seed is wrapped tight.Then,this is followed by by a second wrapping of
aluminum foil. Don't forget to label the seed!! I use a permanent
marker...Then,into the fridge we go! Usually for a few months or so.Actually
it depends on the species of seed regarding the time period,but two months
has always been enough for me...Some growers put pots of compost with seed
,in the fridge...but i seem to get a better germination rate if i keep them
in a drier state,hence the wrapping in wax paper..Plus the bonus is ...They
are also ready for storage using this method...I've kept Drosera seed for a
year or so this way,and still had good germination..This is only one of the
ways to stratify seed,but i do believe it's amongst the simplest...Hope it
helps! Enjoy!...Bri