Re: Nepenthes Database

From: Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 12:19:49 PDT

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 12:19:49 -0700
From: Rick Walker <walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Database

Chris Frazier writes:
> Have you or others in the ICPS ever thought about developing the
> database into an official nomenclatural registry for carnivorous plants?
> It seems that having such a good nomenclatural database such as yours
> should not be that far away from doing it officially. Just curious,

I think that being "official" would add nothing to the status of the
database.

Nomenclatural issues are hashed out in open literature and become
"accepted" as a result of concensus among the community of interested
parties.

The ICPS has, however, applied to have the CPN registered as an
International Registration Authority (IRA) by the International Society
of Horticultural Science (ISHS). This won't give the ICPS power to
"rule" on the merits of a publication, but it will make the CPN an
"officially sanctioned" organ for reporting new findings to the
botanical community.

I'm sure that the merits of any new publications will be debated in open
literature, and eventually summarized in Jan's database.

--
Rick Walker