Greetings to the list - Amsterdam flower market

From: Emre_Gurcan@philips.com.tr
Date: Mon Sep 15 1997 - 22:32:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:32:44 +0300
From: Emre_Gurcan@philips.com.tr
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Greetings to the list - Amsterdam flower market

Hi everyone,
I was a member of the list until April 97, but I moved back to Turkey then
and now I have the great joy of rejoining the list.
I grow 22 CP plants of different varieties, most of them bought this
summer. I grow them in my balcony on specially built shelves.
I was in Amsterdam in July for business, and visited the Flower Market
there on a weekend. I was dazzled by the varieties of CP plants sold there.
I ended up filling one suitcase with CP's (15 or so). Luckily they all
survived the journey (one day in luggage + flight). Among the plants I
bought were one large Nepenthes with 8-9 large pitchers (although it did
not specify which kind), one humongous VFT (largest I've ever seen) and
several harder to come by sarr and drosera species. And the prices were
very! reasonable. I used to buy CP plants in States and I can safely say
that the prices in Amsterdam were at least one third cheaper with larger
plants as bonus. So if anyone is planning to visit Amsterdam, they should
definitely stop by the flower market. However, I doubt that the collection
will be as plenty in non-summer months.
My only question is would my Nepenthes survive indoors in winter without
any artificial lighting. The photoperiods here are similar to New York.
Also, the heating is usually turned off at nights, dropping the temperature
5-6 degrees Celsius. Would the plants thrive under these conditions? Thanks
in advance for your help.