Re: Best CP area

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 20 1997 - 06:26:46 PDT

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 08:26:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Best CP area

John Morris wrote:

> I notice that a LOT of people on this list like to grow Nepenthes
> (spelling).
>
> Isn't it true these are TROPICAL CP's? If so.. arent they hard to
> grow in the USA... even indoors?=20

Greenhouses and terrariums have enabled successful cultivation of
Nepenthes. Keep in mind that difficulty in cultivation is relative and
depends on the particular plant. In general, hybrids are the easiest of
Nepenthes to grow and many do not need any 'enclosure'. I have one which I
keep on my porch here in Illinois during the summer, and indoors in the
winter. Temperature and humidity varies quite a bit, but what has been the
most important factor is providing ample light.

> And why the attraction to them over other pitcher plants such as
> Sarracenia, etc?

This is a rather odd question. One can ask, "Why the attraction over
Sarracenia instead of Nepenthes?" It is all a matter of personal taste.

Paul Burkhardt