Re: Photoperiod for Neps & Heliamphora?

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 06:37:36 PDT

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 09:37:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Photoperiod for Neps & Heliamphora?

Andrew wrote:

> Could someone let me know a suitable photoperiod for highland
> nepenthes and heliamphora please

I can't speak about heliamphora.

Many highland Nepenthes are indigenous to areas near the
equator, where the day length is 12 hours all year long.

But these same plants are often found under dense forest
canopies shrouded in mist most of the day. Direct sunlight
is not often hitting the plants.

What does all of this mean? Maybe not much. If you're
supplying artificial light, adjust the photoperiod until
the plants seem to thrive. I keep all my Neps. under
light for 14 hours, they don't seem to mind. Probably
the intensity over time is more important than the
actual photoperiod (+/- 2 hours).

Regards,

Perry Malouf