Freezing of water in the pitchers

From: Emre_Gurcan@philips.com.tr
Date: Sun Sep 21 1997 - 22:23:03 PDT

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:23:03 +0300
From: Emre_Gurcan@philips.com.tr
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Freezing of water in the pitchers

My Cp's are about to go into dormancy in less than a month. My question is,
should I keep water in the sarracenia pitchers during sub-freezing
temperatures? When water expands upon freezing, would this hurt the plant?
Or should I remove water altogether?
Also, is acidifying the water with vinegar a good idea (approx. 1
tablespoon per gallon- it brings the PH from 7 to 6.2 or so)? I have been
doing this for the last 5 months and it does not seem to hurt my plants.
But would it cause harm in the long run?
I would appreciate any valuable opinions.
Emre