Re: Nepenthes talangensis

From: shafer@sammy.Colorado.EDU
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 10:08:12 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:08:12 -0600
From: shafer@sammy.Colorado.EDU
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Nepenthes talangensis

Hi John-

I, too, acquired an N. talengensis, of about the same size as you describe,
last May. However, mine has grown several new leaves since I got it. It
does appear to be slow, though.

I am growing it under what I consider to be standard highland conditions:
bright light with a 14 hour photoperiod, high humidity (80 to 95 percent),
and temps ranging from 55 to 82 F. As compost, I am using equal parts
sphagnum, orchid bark and horticultural charcoal, with a small bit of
peat added. Illumination is provided by a 1000 W HID lamp, and the plant
is about 5 feet from the lamp.

In order to encourage growth of small plants like this, I feed traps with
small insects if traps are present, or spray with 1/10 strength Miracid
every few weeks as a foliar feed if no traps exist. This seems to work well.

Good growing,

Jeff Shafer