Artificial Light

From: Matt (drake@erols.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 1997 - 16:42:09 PDT

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:42:09 +0000
From: Matt <drake@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Artificial Light

In light of (bad pun:) the recent questions regarding artifical
lighting, I can tell that my experiences using two shoplight fixtures
with 2 Cool-White Flourescent tubes apiece (a total of 4 tubes), the
tubes being 4ft, 40 watt each, that they seem to not only fail to put
out enough lumens to turn any CP reddish, but also do not provide the
full spectrum that plants require (cool AND warm spectrum). This
could be somewhat fixed by mixing Warm Flourescent tubes with
Cool-Whites, or using those expensive growlight tubes.
Right now I only use the flourescent lights as a supplement to
daylight for 3 plants, and of course to germinate seeds (which is
sufficiently done with Cool-Whites).
     However, I am currently interested in purchasing a Metal Halide
lamp or a High-Pressure Sodium WITH the Agricultural bulb to provide
full spectrum (High-Pressure Sodium without Agricultural bulb is
limited to the warm spectrum). The cost of such artificial lighting
runs around $200 + $80-$100 for a cooling unit. Prices for HPS with
the Agricultural bulb can run $300 + cost of cooling unit.
     One could use the flourescents and mix tubes and possibly be
successful, maybe even get their plants to thrive, and flourescents
are good since they are low wattage and produce very little heat. I
would use mylar with them if the intention is growing full size
plants.
    By the way, don't buy incandescent grow lamps or Halogen lamps or
any other inefficient, heat producing, expensive lamps that don't put
out enough lumens, and most of the time not even in the right spectrum
(in the case of the Halogen).
     Of course, others have their opinions, this is just my 2 cents on
the lighting issue. Hope it helps.