S. purpurea subspecies venosa variety montana

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Sep 29 1997 - 06:42:00 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:42:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: S. purpurea subspecies venosa variety montana

Don Schnell and Ron Determen have identified a new variety of the
purple pitcher plant (S. purpurea subspecies venosa variety montana).
It lives in the sphagnum bogs of the southern Appalachians mountains. I
know it's found in Rabun County, Georgia, in seepage bogs at the base of
mountains. I assume it's also found in North Carolina.

The ICPS seed bank recently offered S. purpurea (NC mountains), and I am
wondering if its this new variety? I have some of the seeds from ICPS
but need to stratify them. Has anyone sprouted seeds of v. montana from
ICPS yet? Does anyone know who provided the seed to ICPS?

I would also appreciate it if someone could summarize the distinctive
characteristics of this Sarr that separates it from venosa.

Thanks,
David