RE. Plants from large stores

From: j.m.haddon (j.m.haddon@uclan.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:50:04 GMT+0
From: "j.m.haddon" <j.m.haddon@uclan.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE. Plants from large stores

Hi all,
    Last week I visited a large DIY store (Homebase) near my
university. They had CP for sale (stlg2.99) in medium sized pots which
most of the plants filled. Some of the VFTs had leaves over 10cm
(although they lacked any red pigment) and like the rest of the
species avialible they were in great condition. This weekend I
went home to the north east of England and visited the same store
there. I was most distressed to find the CP with drying soil and
browning leaves. I had told a friend that the store had good quiality
plants but I guess it depends on the individual looking after them in
the store. The Homebase in Durham must not have bothered to read the
instructions that come with the plants from Holland as the state what
you need to do to keep the plants healthy. I you live in a big city
or like me you travel around alot it is worth just popping in to DIY
stores to see if they have any good CPs because sometimes you will
come across a store (like Homebase Preston) where the plant expert(?)
knows what he/she is doing.
Yours,

JoHn

(P.S. Phil don't go to Homebase in Durham)