Re: propagation

From: Ross Rowe (Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au)
Date: Tue Sep 30 1997 - 18:38:07 PDT

Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 12:38:07 +1100
From: Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au (Ross Rowe)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: propagation

     Thanks for the response Joe (I also am a geographer/botanist), the
     leaf cutting with roots attached sounds like a very short rhizome
     cutting or do you cut a small portion of rhizome with leaf and root
     attached?

     Can unrooted leaves be treated with rooting powder?

     Thanks
     Ross

Author: ERIC Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com> at Internet

Ross,
Sarracenias work well as rhizome cuttings. cut rhizome in to about 2
inch sections, dust ends with sulpher or fungicide, place them in damp
peat moss or soil mix. Leave about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rhizome above the
soil line. push soil up to and cover the ends. keep soil damp, bright
indirect light. Keep warm when growth begans to develop- expose them
to more light, keep damp. I have been about 60% successful using leave
cuttings with sarracenias. Make sure that if you use leaves that you
have some roots attached. If you are in Australia then the time to do it
is now.(I was just before telling you to wait until Spring to do this)
duh- And I am a geography teacher.
Joe Cumbee