Home Depot and CP

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 1997 - 16:27:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 19:27:13 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Home Depot and CP

Nicholas Plummer wrote:

> p.s. I'm curious to know why so many people purchase CP at places like Home
> Depot when you can get excellent (and correctly labeled) plants for about
> the
> same price from the various mail order dealers. My $5.00 Sarr. purpurea
> venosa

Nick, Speaking for myself, I've bought CP from Home Depot (HD) for
the following reasons:

1) Cost. Every CP is $3.99 (some as low as 2.99!) Doesn't matter
whether it's a nepenthes, sarracenia, drosera or pinguicula- the price
is the same flat rate. As for the ID of the plant, the only problem is
in identifying pings. Everything else is pretty easy.
2) See before you buy- you're picking the plant out yourself- LIVE!
3) Healthy plants. I haven't lost any of the plants from HD. In fact,
they grow like weeds!
4) Instant buyer gratification. In other words, you get the plant into
your terrarium almost immediately. Even overnight shipping can't beat
that!
5) No UPS, Fed Ex or USPS foul-ups, crushings, mutilations or other
mishandlings.

Now, if I was to actually build an outdoor bog- in addition to the very
gracious offers of CP from others on this list- I'd definitely look to
the CP vendors on and off the net for CP. Why?

1) Plant size. Plants shipped by CP vendors are more likely to be
larger then the 3" plastic cup variety seen in HD.
2) Selection. While HD has had a surprising variety of CP, their
supplier (TPN, not PPN as others have wondered... PPN would never sell
at those ridiculously LOW prices anyway...) could never send an S.
flava, rubra, alata, etc.
3) CP nutured under the proper conditions. HD care varies. Try to get
there within the week the CP arrive... otherwise some numbskull employee
will decide to make a bigger VFT by sprinkling Miracle Grow (for
tomatoes) on them!

    The fact that Home Depot has moved beyond (way beyond, imho) the era
of VFT-only CP offerings is very welcome to me. It's also been very
fortuitous for me since their decision coincided with the rebirth of my
interest in CP- even if this causes certain members of this list long
sleepless nights... :)

Cheers,
Paul

--