Secretions on Pinguicula corolla

From: Laurent Legendre (laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr)
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 02:40:48 PDT

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:40:48 +0100
From: Laurent Legendre <laurent.legendre@univ-reims.fr>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Secretions on Pinguicula corolla

Hi everyone,

Many Pinguicula species (actually most) produce hairs close to the throat
of their corolla. In very few cases, I have seen that these hairs produce
small droplets of liquid. I've never seen insects being caught on these
secretions and they do not seem to interfere with pollination (can they
help by attracting pollinating insects? These later ones do not seem to
exist in France anyhow!). What's more puzzling is that smaller stalked
droplets can be seen on the underside of the petals and on the spur, this
later organ being often responsible for catching small flyes.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenum? Has anyone any clue of the
nature of these structures? I still haven't taken any time to look at them
under the microscope. Are the petals of some Pinguicula carnivorous??

Happy observations,

Laurent Legendre.