Re: Nepenthes seed and Darlingtonia seed stratification

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 14 1997 - 11:45:09 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:45:09 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes seed and Darlingtonia seed stratification

On 9 Oct 97 at 10:09, drake@erols.com wrote:

> Do Darlingtonia seeds require stratification?

Definitely not if sown fresh, as the many people I sent seed from my
own plants to in the last two years would no doubt confirm. If you
get some seed, then don't just keep it in the packet - sow straight
away, even if it's Winter. They don't need warmth to germinate - I'd
say that 60F / 15C is plenty. Below that might make them take longer,
but doesn't seem to affect the final germination rate. I'd expect
germination to start after a few weeks.

I've no idea whether stratification might help with older seed, as I
never got any germination at all with the two commercial packets I
tried.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk) http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/
Cacti in Mexico, Cacti in flower, Seeds from Cambridge University Botanic Garden