Baking Soda and Germination

From: Nigel Hurneyman (nhurneyman@onemeaning.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 02:37:41 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 10:37:41 +0100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <nhurneyman@onemeaning.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Baking Soda and Germination

I have seen anecdotes on the list server about how baking Soda promotes
growth/colour/pitcheration (I reserve judgement until a proper scientific study
has been conducted) and other contributions about promoting seed germination
by washing out acidic inhibitors. Has anyone tried soaking CP seed in a Baking
Soda solution to see whether the effects are combinative?

BTW I have also seen contributions about how slowly the choicest Nepenthes
grow in cultivation, and other contributions about whether grafting Nepenthes
might have any benefit (other than growing male and female flowers on the same
plant. Well how about grafting a slow-growing choice species onto a fast growing
weed? After all, cactus growers do it all the time.

In a lighter vein, has anyone tried Baking Soda on VFTs? After all, it is supposed
to be good for teeth!

Good Growing, NigelH