repotting Nepenthes

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 12:29:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:29:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Andrew Marshall <andrewm@eskimo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: repotting Nepenthes

Hi folks,
        Me again. I know... I will try not to send another posting til
tomorrow.
repotting etc. I will relate my experience fwiw. Take it or leave it.
        For a mix to grow them in AFTER rooting, NOT a rooting mix.
2 parts salt free fir bark as in beauty bark, bark mulch etc.. of the
sort found in DIY stores for landscaping. MUCH cheaper then orchid bark,
and works better.
2 parts coarse perlite and 1 part coarse chunk peat moss.
        I use nothing else, especially not vermiculite as in our temperate
maritime climate it will go soft and rotten in a hurry. Lost a few to
that already. I refrain from live sphagnum for the same reason. In
Summer it is great, winter it is TOO humid around the roots and rots to
secretly and fast. I have lost much to that one as well.
        (located near Seattle in Washington State, climate similar to the
South of England, where I grew up... kind of)
        Transplanting Nepenthes. I find that when they are definatly pot
bound, you can tell because you can not keep them from wilting no matter
HOW much water you give them, is waiting to long. I don't have any real
time that is bettert then any other as in the greenhouse the conditions
are (mostly) mine to manipulate. It is HOW you do it that can make ALL
the difference. Here is how I do it, and tell EVERY ONE to with total
success.
        Remove GENTLY the plant to be done from its former pot. Cut the
pot off the plant if you must.
        I spray the roots down with Sperthrive in water, any amount will
do as it is merely a superstitious thing with me. If you want ratios then
try a cap or two to a half gallon.
        In the new pot you will asemble the ingrediants and make sure
there is plenty spare. Make a hole large enough to accomodate the entire
root mass of the plant. You can remove some of the old soil if you like,
but CAREFULLY! Take the plant and put its roots in the hole, carefully
scooping in soil to cover it. Take water and water heavily to settle the
soil, adding and watering as needed til the soil has reached the desired
level in the pot and the roots are sufficiantly covered. Here is the
important bit. DO NOT PACK DOWN THE SOIL OVER THE ROOTS. Let the water
settle it. Shake the pot some to settle it as the water drains out. You
want the soil settled but it must remain airy so the roots can breathe.
If you pack the roots, you will damage and perhaps even suffocate them.
        Continue to heavily water the plant in its new pot til it is
settled in well and all of the major bubbles have risen out of the soil.
        You can treat the plant like it was never even re-potted now if
you like. It should carry on with little change, depending on it's nature
of course.
        Hope this helps
        Andrew