pitcher plants of borneo - book review

From: Ross Rowe (Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 19:45:32 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:45:32 +1100
From: Ross.Rowe@dest.gov.au (Ross Rowe)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: pitcher plants of borneo - book review

     I've noticed plenty of talk about Nepenthes on this discussion list.
     I'm not a huge grower of Nepenthes though I do have a khasiana which
     has survived the past 7 or 8 years virtually untouched apart from an
     annual clean out of dead leaves in a terrarium.

     I love the genus though and when I saw the opportunity to pick up a
     copy of the new book Pitcher Plants of Borneo autographed by the
     authors (Lamb and Phillips) and the illustrator (Phillips) I thought
     that my Christmas present would be good justification of the expense
     (relatively small as it was). The only problem with this rationale is
     that the book, after a quick check that it was OK, was to be returned
     to its envelope and put away as a "suprise" for Christmas. What I did
     see looked excellent and though it is difficult to review a book
     without having it open before me, I thought a couple of comments on
     this list might be of value to other readers and book collectors. At
     least someone might be able to sympathise with the frustration of
     having to wait another 2 months to get it out of the packet again.

     The book covers the history of the genus and its collection,
     cultivation and details the species (c.30) occuring on Borneo. It is
     illustrated with some colour photos, line drawings and primarily some
     lovely watercolour prints. Sorry I can't say much more, the books in
     a big fat envelope at home in the cupboard.

     As a member of the Australian Carnivorous Plant Society I paid $36
     (plus postage), a good price for a lovely book. I recommend you have
     a look at it if you get the chance.

     Ross Rowe
     Canberra Australia.