Re: The Great California Darlingtonia Expedition

From: Russell Elliott (elliott@nexus.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 01:56:06 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 18:26:06 +0930 (CST)
From: elliott@nexus.edu.au (Russell Elliott)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The Great California Darlingtonia Expedition

>D. capensis must emit some kind of growth inhibitor because I have
>watched them take over most of the standing water at that bog and even
>though there is plenty of room the D. rotundafolia seem to die the pools
>of water where at one time as full of D. rotundafolia as they now are of
>D. capensis. Any one know how I could go about checking for growth
>inhibitors? I am thinking about trying to remove all of the D. capensis
>from a pool of water and see if I can get the D. rotundafolia
>re-established.

 Craig,

 If I were you, I'd go about trying to remove *ALL* of the Drosera capensis.
It was a very bad mistake by someone to introduce it in the first place!

 I don't know if D.capensis emits growth inhibitors, but I have seen it
outcompete and smother other cp in pots where it has self seeded.

        -Russell

! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director, !
! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society. !
! Sorry, due to limited stocks, seed only available to members. !
! mailto:elliott@nexus.edu.au !
! Please Direct membership enquiries to Brian Denton at: !
! mailto:bdenton@camtech.net.au !
! ACPS Home Page: http://www.camtech.net.au/acps !