Re: Sarracenia Psittacina

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 15:14:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 22 Oct 97 18:14 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia Psittacina

Hello June,

> It looks a bit squashed in it's pot, I think I should repot it. What size pot would suit and
> what type of soil?

Well, after time (like a couple years) it could be two feet wide!
For now, just use a pot that will be large enough so it isn't root
bound. Soil: equal parts of peatmoss and sand (I don't think the type
of sand matters much. Has limey sand killed anyone's CP's?)

> What temperature, humidity, water does it need?
> Although it looks very healthy some of the pitchers are turning brown, is it dying or could
> this be dormancy and if so what should I do?

It depends on which leaves are turning brown. If it's the new growth
something is wrong. However, most of the time psittacina keeps it's
leaves for less than a year. Over that time the older pitchers brown,
starting at the ends, as the plant pulls nutrients from the leaves for
the new growth.

> How does it actually kill it's prey and how many does it require?

I'm not sure that S.psittacina *is* a CP. Mine, which are outside
growing at ground level in almost wild conditions, never catch a thing.
And even if they did, it's not like there are digestive fluids in the
leaves. A rather weak CP to me...

> Some background info...
> I'm only getting into CP growing at present, my only other CP is a VFT which is definitely
> dormant. I live in Ireland so temperatures aren't too extreme in the winter. I do not have a
> terranium at present.

All Sarracenia will do just fine outdoors where you live (if planted in
a bog, anyway) so just mimic the outside conditions for good dormancy.
You don't have to drop the temp much, but if you keep it warmer it will
not go as dormant and it will need more water and light than if kept at
around 35~F.. My Sarracenia are frozen through winter so I know they go
dormant. However, unless it gets fairly cold, they continue growing at
a slowed pace or they have a very short dormancy (I'm not sure which!).

Good growing,
Dave Evans